Friday, January 8, 2010

Moving Snow

Late yesterday afternoon I decided to start the tractor and move some snow. It was already dark but the wind was starting to go down. You will see in these photos the snow is still in the air.



It was about 25 below wind chill when these photos were taken. I had stepped inside to warm up a bit so I grabbed my camera and took a few quick pictures. The weather in Iowa has been brutual the past several days.



Here's the dashboard (pretty exciting, huh?!)



A large tractor like this can pick up a lot of snow. In snow this heavy and deep a snow blower is not going to do much.



Notice the chains on the back tires? Without these I would be in trouble.



The process is pretty simple. Pick up snow, drive to a place out of the way ....



and dump the snow on the pile.



This morning I have more snow to move as the wind kept blowing last night. But, as with life, you just keep doing what you can and stay at it.

Thanks for stopping by!

8 comments:

Tess Kincaid said...

Can you pop on over and do my drive, too, Russell? ;^)

Small City Scenes said...

Oh wow, I can't even imagine so much snow and the brutal cold. Last year up where I live we had 3 feet of snow. very rare for here. This year maybe 4inches and it only stayed 4 days. And if it gets 20 above we consider it very cold. So I say more power to you and your John Deere and have another cup of hot cocoa.--I'm buying. MB

Anonymous said...

Gosh... wasn't it 1962 or '63 when there was also a winter like this in Iowa? Snow up to the second story of homes... As a kid I can recall that it was a blast, but that was when kids actually played outdoors.

Di
The Blue Ridge Gal

Jo said...

Omigosh, Russell...!!! Just off in one corner of the pictures I can see the Ice Road Truckers. :-)

Hilary said...

Wow you're really getting hit hard. I love your snowy action shots.. .and that you stopped in mid scoop to take a photo of it. Very cool.. err.. cold.

Anonymous said...

Looks like quite a job! It's 10 degrees here right now and we do have snow on the ground...but it's nothing compared to what you have in Iowa.

Maureen said...

No thank you! I guess there reasons to be happy to live in NYC!

Unknown said...

Well you know it's bad when a tractor is needed! Stay warm!