Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Defiance

If you are looking for a feel good, happy, fun, light hearted happily ever after movie .... this is not the one to watch.



But if you are searching for a really excellent movie that has some real substance to it, watch Defiance.

This movie is based on a true story of four brothers who lead a group of Jews into the forest during World War II to save their lives. Daniel Craig plays Tuvia Bielski and Liev Schrieber is Zus Bielski.



The movie is not easy to watch. In fact, I shut it off a couple of times while watching it. But I kept coming back and by the end of the movie I thought it was truly incredible. Still, it is difficult to watch at times.

After the movie was over I watched a documentary about how it was made. The producers insisted on complete accuracy. Even the dirt on the actors faces matched the exact dirt found in Belarus. The weapons and clothing were authentic and it was even filmed close to where the actual events occurred.



Originally many of the Jews resist leaving their homes but eventually realize if they stay they will be killed.



They escape the Germans by hiding and moving through the dense forest. What starts out as a small group of people eventually becomes a group of over 1,200 people. They maintain a way of life as best they can under the harsh and almost impossible conditions.



Yet they are always having to keep moving to stay away from the Germans. Often they engage in gun battles with the Germans and the casualties are horrendous. Yet they still keep fighting and resisting and moving.



If you haven't seen this, I recommend it. But you are warned -- it is not easy to watch. If you stay with it to the end, you will be glad you did.

And remember - this is a true story. An incredible, true story.

Take care.

2 comments:

A Lady's Life said...

I think I saw it . Its really good. :)

Jo said...

I started to watch this, but it was too grim for me, and I didn't finish watching it. On your recommendation, I am going to watch it again. :-)