Monday, April 5, 2010

Fleur Cinema and Cafe

Recently I read a newspaper review of all the Des Moines, Iowa, metro movie theatres. Des Moines has 11 movie theatres and over 90 screens. The one that was rated, by far, the best was the Fleur Cinema and Cafe.

It is a very under-stated place. It is just the kind of place I like.



It is rather eclectic as you can see from the furnishings in the lobby.



You can get popcorn and soda if you like. The concessions look rather normal at first glance.



But look a bit closer.



The bottles of lemonade and Rice Krispy bars looked especially inviting.



The walls are covered with classic movie images. One of my favorite all time films is Annie Hall.



Black and white photos of famous movie stars are on the walls. See Pierce Brosnan in this collage?



He was in the movie I saw -- The Ghost Writer. I like the way this theatre posts the name of the movie above the door.



This life size poster of Marilyn Monroe tells you this is the ladies restroom.



This image of Audrey Hepburn was one of my favorites. Not sure why. Just because I guess.



There's Jake and Elwood. I could hear the Blues Brothers singing as I walked into the theatre.



The Fleur Cinema and Cafe. No flashing lights. Only four screens. No blockbuster movies. It only shows Indie, foreign and, as they say, intelligent films.

I can't wait to go back.

Thanks for stopping by.

5 comments:

Hilary said...

That sounds like a great place to see a movie.. and have some wine.. and simply enjoy. I think I'd love it there too. Great post, my friend. :)

Jo said...

Wow! What a beautiful place. I love "indie" theatres, they're always more interesting than the first run theatres, and indie movies are more interesting too. If you ever get a chance, you should see a movie called "Smoke Signals". I first saw it at a theatre like this one.

I hear Chardonnay "pairs" very well with rice crispie squares. :-)

Anonymous said...

In a way it has the appearance of a coffee shop or small restaurant rather than a theatre.

Di

Small City Scenes said...

I, too, like the Cinema Cafe . I love the palette for the coffee table. They show films I would like. We are all coming to visit you just to go to the movies. Watch out.
Bailey too. MB

Pauline said...

a happy discovery! wish we had one of those in my town!