Friday, January 20, 2012

Cold

I had to go into downtown Des Moines this morning. My first stop was the county courthouse.



It was extremely cold this morning. I was almost surprised the flags could even move! I thought they would be frozen solid. Well, okay. Probably not THAT cold but really, really cold.



I like this little sculpture of the children reading. Even in the unbearable cold I stopped to look at them.



Here is the federal courthouse. It looked more foreboding than usual. It is not an attractive building on the outside. However, on the inside it has some beautiful woodwork. You are not allowed to take pictures inside a federal courthouse.



Even the large black lanterns seemed frozen.



Looking behind me I could see the tall Soldiers and Sailors monument on the capitol grounds. You can see the ice on the street.



The capitol itself looked bleak on this day. From this part of town, well ... things look a bit tough, especially in the winter.



The good news was that we did not get snow here in Des Moines this morning as was predicted. But it will arrive before too long.

Thanks for stopping by.

5 comments:

L. D. said...

Great photos that really did show the cold. We received a few inches of the snow but north of us they closed schools.

Leslie: said...

Love the sculpture of the two children! I almost want to put coats on them...We can actually hear the snow melting here as the temp is rising quickly - thank goodness! :D

Hilary said...

I could feel the cold as soon as I saw the statue of the children.. brrr.

Jo said...

Those are lovely old buildings, even the federal building. It's very grand. Here in Vancouver, we tend to tear down our old buildings. Our courthouse looks more like a hotel/spa. Our old courthouse is now the art gallery.

Is that your little red car I see?

A Lady's Life said...

I love the children statue
You feel sad they are sitting in the cold
Almost makes you want to give them a shawl to wear.
In Thailand they change the clothing on the Emerald Buddha.4 times a year.