Tuesday, January 10, 2012

The other day I was driving home. I have recently moved to a Des Moines surburb and live close to an open field.



Getting close to my corner I noticed something was going on.



There were machines in the field. Those machines were not harvesting crops. They were taking down trees and moving the earth.



What had been a field of corn or beans last summer was being turned into a housing development.



This is known as urban sprawl. Valuable farm land is even more valuable as housing lots.



When I moved here this past summer I knew it was only a matter of time before the field close to me would be developed. I had hoped it would not be this soon.



As I write this, the machines have completed their work. It only took a few days.



I was reminded of Joni Mitchell's song Big Yellow Taxi.

They took all the trees
And put 'em in a tree museum
And they charged the people
A dollar and a half to seem 'em




Progress ....

Thanks for stopping by.

6 comments:

Elisabeth said...

I'm writing this and listening to Joni Mitchell. Thanks. It's sadly true: 'you don't know what you've got till it's gone'.

Or sometimes you might, as in the case here.

A Lady's Life said...

yes so sad They should leave the trees at least.

Hilary said...

Well that's disheartening. I don't know why developers can't at least work around mature trees. Sigh!

Jo said...

Omigawd, I had no idea they were taking down trees...! How awful is that! There is no reason to take down trees. Developers only see $$$$$ signs, don't they? They can't see the forest for the trees. *sigh*

Small City Scenes said...

Well twice I left a comment and twice it didn't show up. Darn Blogspot anyway.

I asked many questions and now they are just yesterday stuff.

What happened to Pony? Do you still have Bailey. I loved your farm------

MB

cyclopseven said...

All around the world, people lamenting the same thing.In the name of development, something dies off ...the connectivity with nature.