Saturday, November 9, 2013

A Nice Afternoon

Today I went to a movie at 11:00.  It was All is Lost - the Robert Redford movie about a man who is stranded in the Indian Ocean.

After the movie I drove through downtown Des Moines.  It was a beautiful fall day with a bright blue sky.

I noticed this rather large garden trowel in front of one of office buildings. 



I pulled off to take a picture of it.  Looking towards the sculpture garden on the west side of downtown, I liked the curves along the sidewalk.


Walking towards the park, I first noticed these three happy looking dancers.  Even if it had been a cloudy day they would brighter it up.


Here is a closer look at the white sculpture in the background.


If you look closer you will see he is comprised of letters.




This red sculpture is one of my favourites - but I like red.


I noticed this balcony on a building.  It seemed rather unusual.  I liked it but it just seemed rather contemporary and somewhat bold.



Here is a closer view.


I stopped at an old downtown hotel that has always been a favourite of mine.


They still have phone booths.




I liked this little area off from the lobby.  It is a sitting room and, at one time, a smoking room.  They don't smoke in the hotel any longer but they still have these wonderful posters.



Driving back to the interstate I drove by this well known church.  It is a Catholic cathedral.


Some times the best afternoons are the ones where you do nothing special.  Then again, watching a good movie and taking in some of the sights on a beautiful fall day is pretty special.

4 comments:

Leslie: said...

Your comment reminds me of the poem "Ordinary Day" where the day is nothing like ordinary, but extraordinary. Love your photos and how was the movie?

Hilary said...

Wow.. Iowa is full of interesting sites and you always seem to find the best of them.

Nice to see you posting, these days.

Unknown said...

can you please click on this site
http://democrat-for-president.blogspot.com/2013/11/democrat-for-president_18.html
we need more democrats in office.

A Lady's Life said...

Happy New Year guys!!